Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2012 End of the Year Book Survey



                                         

The 2012 End of the Year Book Survey was created by Jamie at The Perpetual Page-Turner and The Broke and the Bookish. This is my first year taking part and I really loved thinking about my reading/blogging year like this!


1. Best book you read in 2012? (You can break it down by genre if you want.)


My favorite book this year was Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood. Absolutely loved it and can't wait for the sequel!! 

Adult fiction: Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
YA contemporary: Something Like Normal by Trish Doller; The Boyfriend List by E. Lockhart
YA sci-fi/fantasy: Across the Universe & A Million Suns by Beth Revis; Cinder by Marissa Meyer
YA historical fiction: Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys; The Springsweet by Saundra Mitchell
Nonfiction: Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver
Audiobook: The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness
2. Book you were excited about and thought you were going to love more but didn't?

I thought I would love For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund but didn't at all, really. I also thought I'd love Will Grayson, Will Grayson, but felt pretty meh about it. ALSO, Code Name Verity. I am the only person who didn't love it. 

3. Most surprising book (in a good way) of 2012?

I read The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary Pearson on a whim and LOVED it. Same with The Boyfriend List and The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale.
4. Book you recommended to people most in 2012?

I recommend Delirium, Divergent, Cinder, and The Knife of Never Letting Go to my students all the time.
5. Best series you discovered in 2012?

Definitely Across the Universe and the Ruby Oliver books. I've read many books that were part of a series this year, but not many that were the first in the series.

6. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2012?

Let's see...Trish Doller, Marissa Meyer, Beth Revis, Ruta Sepetys, Cynthia Hand, Barbara Kingsolver, and Ellen Hopkins.
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or in a new genre for you?

Probably Gone Girl: I don't read much suspense. Maybe I should read more, though, since I loved it!

8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2012?

Gone Girl for sure. Although it was hard to put down A Million Suns last January.
9. Book you read in 2012 that you are likely to reread next year?

I'm not a big rereader, but maybe Gone Girl?

10. Favorite cover?

I love the old cover of Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly and Seraphina by Rachel Hartman's current cover.



11. Most memorable character in 2012?

Rosie from Water for Elephants, Todd and Manchee from The Knife of Never Letting Go, Seraphina from Seraphina, Ruby Oliver!
12. Most beautifully written book in 2012?

Hmm...Seraphina or The Springsweet.
13. Book you can't believe you waited UNTIL 2012 to read?

Water for Elephants and ANNE OF GREEN GABLES

14. Shortest and longest books?

Shortest: Cut by Patricia McCormick (151 pages)

Longest: Beautiful Creatures by Margaret Stohl and Kami Garcia (563 pages) (audiobook)

Longest print: Insurgent by Veronica Roth (525 pages)
15. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? 

Definitely Gone Girl!


Book Blogging/Reading Life in 2012

16. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2012?

Has to be Book Tasty! Love her and her blog! (And I think I didn't know her until 2012!)

17. Favorite review that you wrote in 2012?

Hmm...I like my review of The Knife of Never Letting Go and my rant at the end of The Mockingbirds review (spoilers, though).
18. Most thought provoking review or discussion you read on someone else's blog?

Everything on Stacked! I love everything Kelly posts over there about reading and libraries. I also love Jamie's bookish posts, like this rant about people not having time to read. 

19. Best event you participated in?

First of all: CHICAGO. In April, I went to a signing at Anderson's on Friday night and then went to RT Teen Day on Saturday, where I met many fave authors (Beth Revis, Stephanie Perkins, Veronica Roth, Jeri Smith-Ready, and more!) and bloggers (Tara, Jamie, Jen, Anna, Kristi, and more!). It was pretty much amazing. WHY DIDN'T I TAKE MORE PICTURES SIGH

I also met Meg Cabot in July at a signing at Schuler's in Lansing. ALSO amazing. 

20. Best moment of book blogging in 2012?

I'd have to say getting to know people who are like me and GET me. How awesome is it to meet all these amazing people through blogging/twitter?? I also love that a few have gone from being twitter friends to being real friends that I want to talk to all the time, about more than just books. Power of the internet, y'all.
21. Most popular post this year on your blog?

My Top Ten Bookish quotes post from May had the most hits this year, which is kind of funny since I am terrible at remembering quotes. Something I plan on being better at this year!
My most viewed review this year was for the Nickel and Dimed audiobook. I get more hits for that than any other review! 

22. Post you wish got a little more love?

Well, obviously I'm not a huge blog and some of my reviews/posts go by with no comments, which I am fine with. However, I really enjoyed writing my Former Favorites series, which highlighted my childhood faves like The Babysitters' Club and Animorphs. Check them out!
23. Best bookish discovery?

I discovered audiobooks this year! And started going to an indie bookstore more, Schuler's in Lansing, which I love. It's an hour away, though, so I only go for signings or if it's on the way to something.
24. Did you complete any challenges this year?

Well, I signed up for the Back to the Classics challenge and completely failed at that, BUT I did read my goal of 100 books this year. Yay!


Looking Ahead

25. One book you didn't get to in 2012, but will be your number one priority in 2013?

Hahaha well there are many of those, but as soon as I put them on a list, I won't read them! HOWEVER, I promise to read The Poisonwood Bible this year. Finally.
26. Book you are most anticipating for 2013?

Tie between Shades of Earth and Requiem.


27. One thing you hope to accomplish or do in your 2013 blogging/reading?

2013 goal: 120 books

I want to do many things, but I want to keep blogging because I like it, not because I feel like I have to. I also want to get to know more people through blogging/twitter and be more outgoing/talkative at book events. I would also love to go to ALA in Chicago this June (as a teacher, MLIS student, and blogger!).

Reading wise, I'd like to keep reading a variety of genres so I can recommend all types of books for my students. I need to try more graphic novels and other genres that I am not that familiar with.
I absolutely loved filling this survey out and thinking about my 2012 reading and blogging! I hope that 2013 brings another great year of reading, blogging, and meeting new people!

No comments:

Post a Comment