Thursday, December 6, 2012

Review: For Darkness Shows the Stars

Author: Diana Peterfreund
Publish date: June 2012
Source: Library
"It's been several generations since a genetic experiment gone wrong caused the Reduction, decimating humanity and giving rise to a Luddite nobility who outlawed most technology.

Elliot North has always known her place in this world. Four years ago Elliot refused to run away with her childhood sweetheart, the servant Kai, choosing duty to her family's estate over love. Since then the world has changed: a new class of Post-Reductionists is jumpstarting the wheel of progress, and Elliot's estate is foundering, forcing her to rent land to the mysterious Cloud Fleet, a group of shipbuilders that includes renowned explorer Captain Malakai Wentforth--an almost unrecognizable Kai. And while Elliot wonders if this could be their second chance, Kai seems determined to show Elliot exactly what she gave up when she let him go.

But Elliot soon discovers her old friend carries a secret--one that could change their society . . . or bring it to its knees. And again, she's faced with a choice: cling to what she's been raised to believe, or cast her lot with the only boy she's ever loved, even if she's lost him forever.

Inspired by Jane Austen's persuasion, "For Darkness Shows the Stars" is a breathtaking romance about opening your mind to the future and your heart to the one person you know can break it.
" (Goodreads)

I feel that For Darkness Shows the Stars has been all over the internet in the last few months and the general consensus is that it's an amazing book. Well, I have to admit: it seems like a Kyle book. Futuristic, love story, secrets....however, I did not love it. I am honestly still trying to figure out if I like it.

First of all, I have not read Persuasion, but I don't think that's necessary to read For Darkness Shows the Stars. I understood the basic plot of the story, but I don't think Diana Peterfreund explained the world enough. I wanted to know more about what actually happened to cause the Reduction and more about the Luddites rather than just the little snippets we got. I'm curious, dang it! Tell me more!

I did like the characters, especially Elliot. She was such a good person, always advocating for the Reduced servants at the estate and trying to do what was best for everyone. I liked most of the other characters as well except for Kai. I don't understand why Elliot loved him. I know he was supposed to seem cold and angry, but he never changed from that for me.

The letters throughout the novel were just meh. I found myself skimming them except for the end as they became closer to the current time of the book. I guess honestly...I was just bored most of the time except for maybe the last 30 pages. I felt like nothing really happened. I probably would have DNFed except I'd read such glowing reviews that I figured I'd just keep reading and wait for the amazing part. Alas, this book and I were just not meant to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment