Monday, December 17, 2012

Review: The Adoration of Jenna Fox

Author: Mary Pearson
Publish date: 2008
Source: Classroom library
"Seventeen-year-old Jenna Fox has just awoken from a year-long coma - so she's been told - and she is still recovering from the terrible accident that caused it. But what happened before that? She's been given home movies chronicling her entire life, which spark memories to surface. But are the memories really hers? And why won't anyone in her family talk about the accident? Jenna is becoming more curious. But she is also afraid of what she might find out if she ever gets up the courage to ask her questions.

What happened to Jenna Fox? And who is she really?
" (Goodreads)

Well, here I am again, reading a book I'd never heard of until we got it at work for our classroom libraries. What a rough job, adding more books to my TBR and reading them as soon as I can! Anyway, after I read this book, I was looking up the series on Goodreads and saw the second book is called The Fox Inheritance, which I have actually heard of. After finishing The Adoration of Jenna Fox, I can't wait to read the rest of the series!

Based on summary of the book (above and on the back of the paperback), I had no idea that the story takes place in the future when medicine is more advanced. I was expecting more of a contemporary read about a girl recovering from amnesia, but was pleasantly surprised at the story. I really enjoyed the story and can't believe the book isn't more popular...but maybe I am just 3 years late to the party?

Sometimes in "person can't remember past books," it's annoying to learn things along with the main character, but I didn't mind at all only knowing what Jenna knew. In Jennifer Echols's Forget You, for example, you learn things along with Zoey, but I was so annoyed with her by the end! I wasn't annoyed with Jenna and was even scared for her at some points.

The Adoration of Jenna Fox also made me think a lot about medical ethics and family secrets and the implications of both. Basically the book made me think and I enjoyed it, which is win win! It's easily one of my favorites of 2012 and I can't wait to recommend it to my students!

No comments:

Post a Comment