Thursday, January 17, 2013

Audiobook Review: Beautiful Creatures

Authors: Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl
Narrator: Kevin T. Collins
Publish date: 2009
Source: Library
"Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.

Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.

In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.
" (Goodreads)

A couple months ago I felt like I was the only person that I knew who hadn't read Beautiful Creatures. It's quite a chunkster (563 pages), so I thought audio would be a good way to go. I have to say...this book and I did not click. I went into it completely open and finished it completely annoyed.

The audio of the book itself was fine. The narrator had a calming voice and while his voices for each character weren't insanely different, they were fine. I wasn't annoyed by him, but by other aspects of the book.

I love the idea of Beautiful Creatures in theory. I like southern settings, I like the idea of casters and the parallels between Ethan and Lena and the historical events, etc. This seemed like a "me" novel, but after listening to it, I was surprised at how meh it was. First of all, way too long. Like at least 100 pages too long. So much of the book seemed to not move the plot forward. It was a little tiring to hear about Ethan and Lena researching or just talking to each other about nothing. I thought Ethan was really boring, honestly. I hate sounding so negative, but there was just not much I liked.

The thing that bothers me the most about not liking this book is that I've been to an event with Margie Stohl and I LOVED her. She is hilarious and smart and I wanted to like Beautiful Creatures so much because I liked her so much, but I just can't. I don't know...was audio the wrong way to go? I feel like I would have felt the same way with print, especially with the length. I won't be reading the rest of the series, although I haven't decided yet about the movie.

Did anyone else NOT like this book? I feel like I might be the only one...

No comments:

Post a Comment