Monday, January 28, 2013

Review: The Diviners

Author: Libba Bray
Publish date: 2012
Source: Classroom library
"Evie O'Neill has been exiled from her boring old hometown and shipped off to the bustling streets of New York City--and she is pos-i-toot-ly thrilled. New York is the city of speakeasies, shopping, and movie palaces! Soon enough, Evie is running with glamorous Ziegfield girls and rakish pickpockets. The only catch is Evie has to live with her Uncle Will, curator of The Museum of American Folklore, Superstition, and the Occult--also known as "The Museum of the Creepy Crawlies."

When a rash of occult-based murders comes to light, Evie and her uncle are right in the thick of the investigation. And through it all, Evie has a secret: a mysterious power that could help catch the killer--if he doesn't catch her first.
" (Goodreads)

Let me start this off by saying this is the third Libba Bray book I have read (or tried to read). I read A Great and Terrible Beauty back in June and was disappointed and tried the Beauty Queens audiobook over the summer and just couldn't handle it. At this point, you may be wondering why I even wanted to read The Diviners, as it seems Libba's books and I just don't mesh. Well, I gotta be honest, The Diviners just sounded really cool. And I did actually like it for the most part.

So yes, I liked it. The Diviners was definitely not what I expected, but it was entertaining nonetheless. I was completely annoyed by Evie at the beginning, but I think she was supposed to be that way. At the beginning, I also thought there were way too many characters, but I think everything came together pretty nicely be the end. I have no idea how she plotted all of that out!

I will say I found the entire book to be about 100 pages too long. By the time I was within a couple hundred pages of finishing, I just wanted it to be over because it had just been going on and on. I also found the 20's lingo to be a little annoying (like "you betski!"), but I suppose I'd rather have books be historically accurate than not.

I think this book might have turned from like to love if it had been a bit shorter. I am definitely curious to see where the story goes and will be reading book 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment