Monday, October 15, 2012

Review: The Boyfriend List

Author: E. Lockhart
Publish date: 2006
Source: Library
"Fifteen-year-old Ruby has had a rough ten days. During that time she:

* lost her boyfriend (#13 on the list)
* lost her best friend (Kim)
* lost all her other friends (Nora, Cricket)
* did something suspicious with a boy (#10)
* did something advanced with a boy (#15)
* had an argument with a boy (#14)
* had a panic attack
* lost a lacrosse game (she's the goalie)
* failed a math test (she'll make it up)
* hurt Meghan's feelings (even though they aren't really friends)
* became a social outcast (no one to sit with at lunch)
* had graffiti written about her in the girls' bathroom (who knows what was in the boys'!?!)

But don't worry—Ruby lives to tell the tale. And make more lists.
" (Goodreads)

I read this book during the readathon, meaning I read it between 8am and 11am last Saturday...not my usual reading time! Even so, I devoured it and LOVED it! I love Ruby Oliver!

One of the things I loved about The Boyfriend List is how detailed it was, especially when describing what high school and teenagers are like. We all know that high school can SUCK sometimes (friends and boys) and I think Lockhart really captured that. Some of the details about Ruby's life really jumped out at me and made me crack up, much like Sloppy Firsts. I have to admit though...I like Ruby more than Jessica! Don't hate me!

I think this book would be great for high school students to read (adults too, let's be honest) because it really shows that you can work through your issues and things will be okay. Ruby is such a real and likable character, whom you love even though she makes mistakes. No one is perfect, but that's okay, and THAT'S why teen girls need to read this. I will definitely be book talking this one to my students and getting copies of the series for my classroom.

Also, I loved the footnotes. I feel like I talk with footnotes or random asides all the time, so I thought they were perfect. Basically, I loved this book much more than I thought I would and now I want everyone to read this series!

No comments:

Post a Comment