Thursday, October 4, 2012

Review: Anne of Green Gables

Author: L.M. Montgomery
Publish date: 1908
Source: purchased ebook
"Everyone's favorite redhead, the spunky Anne Shirley, begins her adventures at Green Gables, a farm outside Avonlea, Prince Edward Island. When the freckled girl realizes that the elderly Cuthberts wanted to adopt a boy instead, she begins to try to win them and, consequently, the reader, over." (Goodreads)

So for whatever reason, I never read Anne of Green Gables as a kid. I loved historical fiction, especially the Little House books, but never read this series. When I saw that Elizabeth from Don't Take my Books Away was doing a read-along of the second book, Anne of Avonlea, I knew it would be the perfect motivation for me to start the series. I downloaded the whole series for my kindle and read Green Gables in a few days.

 First of all, I found Anne to be completely charming, if a little annoying, throughout the first 3/4 of the book. I kind of loved how much she talked and babbled because hello, she was eleven years old. Most girls that age are talkers, myself included. I loved how Matthew and Marilla came to love her and basically forget that they ever wanted a boy. Who wouldn't love Anne?

One of the things I particularly enjoyed about Anne of Green Gables was the friendship between Anne and Diana. Their closeness and love for each other really reminded me of my best friend and me. I think Anne and Diana is already one of my favorite friendships from literature and I am looking forward to reading more about them (hopefully).

The setting of Prince Edward Island was another aspect of the book I loved. Historical fiction is awesome in general, but the settings usually are one of my favorite parts. We all know I love anything with the word "island" in it!

So pretty much....I am sad I didn't read Anne of Green Gables as a kid, but so glad I am reading the series now! I am really looking forward to reading the next book in the read-along!

No comments:

Post a Comment