Friday, June 22, 2012

Review: Born Wicked

Author: Jessica Spotswood
Publish date: February 2012
Source: Library
"Everybody knows Cate Cahill and her sisters are eccentric. Too pretty, too reclusive, and far too educated for their own good. But the truth is even worse: they’re witches. And if their secret is discovered by the priests of the Brotherhood, it would mean an asylum, a prison ship—or an early grave.


Before her mother died, Cate promised to protect her sisters. But with only six months left to choose between marriage and the Sisterhood, she might not be able to keep her word... especially after she finds her mother’s diary, uncovering a secret that could spell her family’s destruction. Desperate to find alternatives to their fate, Cate starts scouring banned books and questioning rebellious new friends, all while juggling tea parties, shocking marriage proposals, and a forbidden romance with the completely unsuitable Finn Belastra.

If what her mother wrote is true, the Cahill girls aren’t safe. Not from the Brotherhood, the Sisterhood—not even from each other.
" (Goodreads)

I've wanted to read this book ever since I read the summary and saw that it was a cross of two of my favorite genres: fantasy and historical fiction. I waited and waited for the library to get it, since I am on a bit of a book buying ban and they finally did! Cue Kyle rejoicing because this book was AWESOME.

One of the things (of many) that I loved about Born Wicked was the writing style and the mood that it created. I really felt like I was transported back in time and could get lost in Cate's world. Jessica Spotswood did a great job with world building and I really enjoyed learning more about her alternate history. I also liked that there wasn't a TON of witchery in the book. I feel like there is much more witchery to come in the next book(s), which is exciting.

Annnnnd the romance. I loved it, even though there was a love triangle. Finn is my new book boyfriend/crush/whatever you want to call it. Fantastic character and I can't wait for more of him and everyone! I may or may not have reread certain passages ;)

This is definitely one of my favorite books from this year. It was exactly what I was looking for and I can't wait for the sequel! You need to read this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment