Friday, November 30, 2012

Review: Cut

Author: Patricia McCormick
Publish date: 2000
Source: Classroom Library
"A tingle arced across my scalp. The floor tipped up at me and my body spiraled away. Then I was on the ceiling looking down, waiting to see what would happen next.

Callie cuts herself. Never too deep, never enough to die. But enough to feel the pain. Enough to feel the scream inside.

Now she's at Sea Pines, a "residential treatment facility" filled with girls struggling with problems of their own. Callie doesn't want to have anything to do with them. She doesn't want to have anything to do with anyone. She won't even speak.

But Callie can only stay silent for so long....
" (Goodreads)

We ordered Cut for our classroom libraries and I was intrigued by two things right away: the cover and the length. After reading the back, I knew I wanted to read it, especially being a big fan of Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson. I did enjoy the book, but didn't love it.

I actually enjoy reading books about topics that I can't relate to because they help me to try to understand why someone might do something like Callie did: cut herself. I try to read about a wide variety of topics so I can recommend books to students and more importantly, so I can relate to them and be a better teacher because of that. I definitely know more now and hope that other teachers read books like this and Speak. Cut was sad, but ultimately hopeful. I like that Patricia McCormick actually spoke to girls like Callie at treatment facilities to ask their opinion on her portrayal of Callie and the other characters. The author's note at the end in which she detailed that was pretty interesting.

Like I said, I liked the book, but I wish it was longer. 150 pages is not a lot of time to get to know a character, especially one like Callie, and I want to know more about her. It was nice to read a quick book, but I wasn't satisfied at the end. I will still recommend Cut to my students, especially for those who liked Speak.

We have purchased other books by McCormick and I'm looking forward to reading more by her, particularly Sold, which is a verse novel. Any other recommendations?

No comments:

Post a Comment