Monday, November 5, 2012

Review: The Evolution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer #2)

Author: Michelle Hodkin
Publish date: October 2012
Source: Purchased
"Mara Dyer once believed she could run from her past.
She can’t.

She used to think her problems were all in her head.

They aren’t.

She couldn’t imagine that after everything she’s been through, the boy she loves would still be keeping secrets.

She’s wrong.

In this gripping sequel to The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, the truth evolves and choices prove deadly. What will become of Mara Dyer next?
" (Goodreads)

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer was one of my favorite books last year and I've been eagerly anticipating the sequel since, oh, the last page of Unbecoming. That cliffhanger about killed me! Usually when I read a sequel a year after the first book came out, I have to either reread book one or find a detailed recap, but I actually remember mostly everything that happened in Unbecoming (this does not happen often!). I devoured The Evolution of Mara Dyer and am happy to report that it did not disappoint.

This book picks up soon after Unbecoming ends and rather nicely recaps events from book one, but not in an obvious or annoying way. I loved learning more about Mara as she did and for probably the first time, found myself enjoying an unreliable narrator. I usually can't handle them, but Michelle Hodkin must be magical or something.

The only issue I had with this book had nothing to do with the actual story. I was cruising right along, inhaling the story when all of the sudden noticed that my book went from page 436 to 469. It was missing 33 pages!! I was angry, mostly because the story was so good and I needed to finish it! It was actually really easy to return to Amazon and I have zero complaints about the process, to be honest. I read the last 80 or so pages as soon I got a new copy from them and NOW I NEED BOOK 3. NOW.

Really, though, I loved the developments in Mara's story and can't wait to see how everything works out! I highly recommend this series and don't be put off by the length: the pages fly by!

No comments:

Post a Comment