Sunday, December 4, 2011

Review: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

Author: Michelle Hodkin
Publish date: September 2011
Source: Library
"Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.


It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.

There is.

She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.

She's wrong
." (image and blurb from Goodreads)

I heard a lot of buzz about this book, so I was a bit wary going into it. I knew I would like it, but I didn't want my expectations to be too high because of all the positive reviews I'd read. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer definitely did not disappoint me and I get the feeling this review is going to be a little gushy.

First of all, I loved all the characters. I liked Mara and I enjoyed that the story was told from her point of view. Her family members were all likable, even her mom, who was quite a mom at some points. Mara's friends were great too, especially Jamie. I wanted more of him! And Noah. Noah Noah Noah. At first I thought he was going to be too cliche, but he turned out to be much more interesting and pivotal than I had imagined.

This book was definitely unputdownable. The chapters were pretty short, which was awesome, and while it wasn't all action-packed, I still wanted to keep reading to find out what happened to Mara. With the first person narration, the reader knows as much as Mara does, so we discover things about her as she does. I liked this technique. Also, the ending? HOLY WOW. I need book number 2 now!

This book isn't for everyone, but if you are a YA fan and don't mind cliches that become uncliche with a hell of an ending, give Mara Dyer a shot!

No comments:

Post a Comment