Sunday, December 18, 2011

Review: Ashes

Author: Ilsa J. Bick
Publish date: 2011
Source: Library
"An electromagnetic pulse flashes across the sky, destroying every electronic device, wiping out every computerized system, and killing billions.
Alex hiked into the woods to say good-bye to her dead parents and her personal demons. Now desperate to find out what happened after the pulse crushes her to the ground, Alex meets up with Tom—a young soldier—and Ellie, a girl whose grandfather was killed by the EMP.

For this improvised family and the others who are spared, it’s now a question of who can be trusted and who is no longer human.

Author Ilsa J. Bick crafts a terrifying and thrilling novel about a world that could be ours at any moment, where those left standing must learn what it means not just to survive, but to live amidst the devastation.
"

I saw this book while I was perusing the YA shelves at the library last week and thought it sounded pretty good, so I checked it out. I don't remember hearing much about it on other book blogs, even though it came out fairly recently. I really liked it and am glad that sometimes I still browse the library shelves instead of putting everything on hold like I normally do.

I had a hard time getting into the book for the first quarter of it. Despite everything that happens, it still felt a little slow-moving for me, but after Tom entered the story, I was hooked. After that, everything was really fast-paced, although it did slow down again later (I know that sounds vague, but I'm trying not to spoil anything). I liked all the characters and thought Ms. Bick included a good assortment of personalities.

The premise of Ashes, that an electromagnetic pulse wipes out much of the population and causes crazy changes in the people that it doesn't kill, it pretty interesting in itself and it was fun to keep finding out more things that the pulse did or did not do. I felt like everything other chapter had more new information about its effects and implications.

Despite being shaky at times and having a VERY casual writing style, I enjoyed Ashes and look forward to reading the next two books in the trilogy when they come out!

No comments:

Post a Comment