Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Review: Wither

Author: Lauren Destefano
Publish date: March 2011
Source: Library
"Obviously, something went terribly wrong. Genetic mutations have festered, reducing human longevity to twenty-five, even less for most women. To prevent extinction, young girls are kidnapped, mated in polygamous marriages with men eager to procreate. Sixteen-year-old Rhine Ellery, a recent victim of this breeding farm mentality, has vowed to break loose from its fetters; but finding allies and a safe way out is a challenge she can only hope she will survive." (from Goodreads)


Well. Hmm. I'm not sure how to start this review. I guess I will say this: I really really wanted to love Wither. I've been on a dystopian kick lately, having recently read Delirium and Divergent, and I was hoping that I would love this one as much, but I didn't. That is not to say that Lauren DeStefano is a bad writer; to the contrary, I thought the writing style was the best part of the book.


The plot sounds very intriguing: in the future, due to a terrible virus, females only live until age 20 and males to age 25. Because of this, girls are married off young, often to husbands that they do not even know, let alone love. The main character, Rhine, has that happen to her. She is sent to live with Linden with two other sister wives. I thought that the story would pick up once this happened, but for me, it didn't. There was never that "unputdownable" feeling. I felt like there were too many loose plot lines and many aspects of the future society were left unexplained. I want to know more about the virus; more about those who are not wealthy; more about Gabriel, who I thought was one of the best parts of the story. 


I will probably read the next book in the series, Fever, to see if any of my questions are answered. It wasn't a bad book: I just neither loved it nor hated it.

No comments:

Post a Comment