Thursday, September 15, 2011

Review: Delirium

Author: Lauren Oliver
Publish date: February 2011
Source: Library
"Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the governments demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy. 

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.
" (from Goodreads)


There was a lot of hype around this look and guess what? Believe it. This book was awesome. I'd been looking forward to reading it for a while and it finally came in at the library for me last week. After I got a couple chapters in, I was hooked, but due to unforeseen circumstances, I wasn't able to finish it until tonight. Did not disappoint.

Lauren Oliver has such a lovely writing style. Her writing was full of figurative language: lots of metaphors, similes, personification, etc. Maybe it's the English teacher in me, but I just loved all of it. It made her writing so poetic and just beautiful to read and really helped describe the setting and world of Delirium. I also really loved how the author described falling in love. It was amazing to "watch" a character go from thinking love was a disease to actually falling in love and discovering what it was about. Ms. Oliver used such great language to describe those almost unexplainable sensations that you experience while falling love. Just perfect. I loved it. 

To conclude: read this book! Yes, it's YA dystopian, but so much more than that! The writing style is fantastic and I already can't wait for Pandemonium.

No comments:

Post a Comment