Saturday, September 24, 2011

Review: Lola and the Boy Next Door

Author: Stephanie Perkins
Publish date: Sept. 29, 2011
Source: ARC from store closing sale
"Budding designer Lola Nolan doesn’t believe in fashion...she believes in costume. The more expressive the outfit -- more sparkly, more fun, more wild -- the better. But even though Lola’s style is outrageous, she’s a devoted daughter and friend with some big plans for the future. And everything is pretty perfect (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the dreaded Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, return to the neighborhood. 
When Cricket -- a gifted inventor -- steps out from his twin sister’s shadow and back into Lola’s life, she must finally reconcile a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door." (from Goodreads)

I decided a few weeks ago that I was going through a contemporary slump: I was immediately bored when I tried to start reading contemporary romances, they all seemed the same, etc. I kept reading reviews for Lola, though, which everyone thought was the bee's knees. When I was at the Borders HQ sale last week, they were basically giving ARCs away, so I thought, hey, I'll give Lola a shot and if I don't like it, to the classroom library it goes. 

Well...this book was delightful and adorable and wonderful. Stephanie Perkins is a fantastic writer. I have not read Anna and the French Kiss so I wasn't sure what to expect, but I loved her writing style and her characters. Sometimes Lola would think in all caps, which I truly believe my mind does as well (not to mention I include all caps in my writing frequently). I really think Ms. Perkins captured the drama and "this is so importantness" of teenage life because that is exactly how I felt at that age. And the conversations near the end that Lola and Max had? I have had similar accusations thrown at me near the end of relationships, of doing things I did not do, so it really felt like the author was in my head and it was CREEPY (but in a good way?).

Essentially, this book was awesome. All the details made it great: Lola's dads, Lindsey, Lola's costumes, and CRICKET. Oh Cricket, I adore you. Read this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment