Monday, August 13, 2012

Review: Something Like Hope

Author: Shawn Goodman
Publish date: 2010
Source: Library
"Shavonne is a fierce and desperate seventeen year-old who finds herself in a large juvenile lockup hundreds of miles from home. She wants to turn her life around before she turns eighteen, but her problems seem too big, and time is running out. Amidst corrupt guards, out-of-control girls, and shadows from her past, Shanvonne must find the courage to fight for a redemption she’s not sure she deserves." (Goodreads)

I would have never heard of this book if not for seeing fellow teacher and blogger Sarah pin it on Pinterest. I picked it up at the library that day (I take recommendations seriously!) and read it in a single sitting. What an absorbing book!

Something Like Hope was basically an intimate look at a teenager in lock up and how she works through the pain in her life. It was a quick read and definitely a page turner at fewer than 200 pages, plus the chapters were really short, which I like. I found myself really rooting for Shavonne despite being annoyed with her sometimes, but pleased with her growth. Even though the book is short, I felt like I really got to know the characters, especially Shavonne, Mr. D, Cinda, and Cyrus.

According to the book cover, the author used his background working as a counselor like Mr. D in juvenile detention centers to help write the book. It's obvious he knows what he's writing about and I thought this was a great glimpse into something like that. This will be a great addition to my classroom library and I think some of my students might really connect with Shavonne and the story. I will definitely be looking for a copy soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment