Monday, August 20, 2012

Audiobook Review: Burned

Author: Ellen Hopkins; Narrator: Laura Flanagan
Publish date: 2006
Source: Library
"Raised in a religious -- yet abusive -- family, Pattyn Von Stratten starts asking questions -- about God, a woman's role, sex, love. She experiences the first stirrings of passion, but when her father catches her in a compromising position, events spiral out of control. Pattyn is sent to live with an aunt in the wilds of Nevada to find salvation and redemption. What she finds instead is love and acceptance -- until she realizes that her old demons will not let her go." (Goodreads)

I've been on an Ellen Hopkins kick lately, ever since I discovered that her books are great as audiobooks. I listened to Glass recently and picked up Burned at the library, which is not part of the Crank trilogy. I enjoyed it in terms of the audiobook but didn't like the story as much as Crank or Glass.

Once again, I thoroughly enjoyed listening to this book rather than reading it. I know I missed certain aspects of poetry like shapes and punctuation by not reading a hard copy, but listening to verse novels is such a great experience. Laura Flanagan again did a wonderful job reading and conveying the many emotions of Pattyn throughout the novel.

Compared to Glass and Crank, the other Ellen Hopkins novels I have read, I did not like this one as much and I felt like there was just too much going on in the plot. I liked the beginning and Pattyn going to live with her aunt, but once Ethan came into the picture, it just seemed like too much for the story. I also felt like EH was making Mormons out to be terrible people, so that was kind of rough, although this is the only book I've read that centers around Mormonism. Interesting read, but ultimately too much going on...and the ending?!?! Not what I was expecting, that's for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment