Monday, January 13, 2014

Review: Pivot Point by Kasie West

Publish date: 2013
Source: Classroom Library
Format: Hardcover
Length: 352 pages
"Addison Coleman’s life is one big “What if?” As a Searcher, whenever Addie is faced with a choice, she can look into the future and see both outcomes. It’s the ultimate insurance plan against disaster. Or so she thought. When Addie’s parents ambush her with the news of their divorce, she has to pick who she wants to live with—her father, who is leaving the paranormal compound to live among the “Norms,” or her mother, who is staying in the life Addie has always known. Addie loves her life just as it is, so her answer should be easy. One Search six weeks into the future proves it’s not.

In one potential future, Addie is adjusting to life outside the Compound as the new girl in a Norm high school where she meets Trevor, a cute, sensitive artist who understands her. In the other path, Addie is being pursued by the hottest guy in school—but she never wanted to be a quarterback’s girlfriend. When Addie’s father is asked to consult on a murder in the Compound, she’s unwittingly drawn into a dangerous game that threatens everything she holds dear. With love and loss in both lives, it all comes down to which reality she’s willing to live through . . . and who she can’t live without.
" (Goodreads)

I had heard of this book earlier this year, but didn't pay much attention to it. However, after seeing consistently high ratings from friends on twitter and Goodreads, I decided it was time to try it out. I brought it home over winter break from my classroom library and spent a few hours kicking myself, wondering why it took so long for me to read this! Pivot Point was excellent and I think it deserves more attention.

First of all, I like the concept of the advanced psychological abilities and Addie's skill of Searching. How many of us have wanted to see into our futures to see if we're making the right choices? I know I have. I liked that each chapter alternated between her potential future with her mom at the Compound and another life with her dad in the real world. It was interesting to see what Addie knew about in the real world in terms of what we know is normal and to see what abilities other people at the compound had. All fun to read about!

I also really liked that this book wasn't just about meeting guys and falling in love. Addie has complicated relationships with boys, her parents, and her friends, making the book that much more enjoyable. I think I initially didn't pay attention to Pivot Point when it came out because the synopsis makes it seem like it's all about boys, but the book is about much more than that.

If you are looking for an interesting take on powers, but a book that reads more like a contemporary, try Pivot Point! I would not consider myself a big paranormal fan, but I was very pleasantly surprised by this (and it really does seem like realistic fiction!).

No comments:

Post a Comment