Monday, January 6, 2014

Review: Not a Drop to Drink by Mindy McGinnis

Publish date: September 24, 2013
Source: ALA
Format: ARC
Length: 320 pages
"Lynn knows every threat to her pond: drought, a snowless winter, coyotes, and, most importantly, people looking for a drink. She makes sure anyone who comes near the pond leaves thirsty, or doesn't leave at all.

Confident in her own abilities, Lynn has no use for the world beyond the nearby fields and forest. Having a life means dedicating it to survival, and the constant work of gathering wood and water. Having a pond requires the fortitude to protect it, something Mother taught her well during their quiet hours on the rooftop, rifles in hand.

But wisps of smoke on the horizon mean one thing: strangers. The mysterious footprints by the pond, nighttime threats, and gunshots make it all too clear Lynn has exactly what they want, and they won’t stop until they get it….
" (Goodreads)

While attending the ALA Annual Conference in Chicago over the summer, I met the fabulous and amazing Mindy McGinnis, whose debut novel, Not a Drop to Drink, was published in September. I actually met her at a meet-up Friday night (along with Debra Driza!) and then went to her signing at the Harper Collins booth the next day. She is smart and hilarious and you will love her if you get the chance to meet her. I hope I can go to another of her signings someday so I can tell her how much I loved Not a Drop to Drink!

The premise of Not a Drop to Drink is amazing because it is so scarily real. Limited drinking water creating havoc in the future? I can definitely imagine that (and am happy I have a pond at my house...just in case!). Lynn lives with her mom, guarding their pond from people trying to steal water. This is definitely a survival story, so if you are looking for a government conspiracy dystopian, this isn't it. But read this one too!

McGinnis's writing style works perfectly with the events happening in the book. It's concise and straightforward, with no extra words, working perfectly with the tone and mood of the novel. At first I was a little put off by it, until I realized more of what the story was about and then it made perfect sense.

Not a Drop to Drink was my favorite debut I read last year and one of my favorite 2013 reads, period. In my 2013 book survey, I classified it under science-fiction, but I don't even know that it really is. Read it for yourself and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment