Wednesday, January 1, 2014

My 2013 Book Survey

I'm back! (I think.) I took an unofficial break from blogging there for a few months, but I'm ready to start again with reviews and Top Ten Tuesdays. Over the last month or so, I've been missing writing reviews and interacting with other bloggers, so the new year seemed like a great time to start posting again.

I'm starting the year with my 2013 book survey and I'll post some reviews after that!




This fun survey was created by Jamie at The Perpetual Page-Turner, one of my favorite bloggers. All questions belong to her and answers to me :) All links go to Goodreads!




1. Best book you read in 2013 (broken down by genre for me)


Contemporary/realistic: Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell; Counting by 7's by Holly Goldberg Sloan; The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart


Science fiction/fantasy: Not a Drop to Drink by Mindy McGinnis (is it sci-fi?); The Program by Suzanne Young; Pivot Point by Kasie West


Historical fiction: Hattie Ever After by Kirby Larson


Audiobook: The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater




2. Book you were excited about and thought you were going to love, but didn't?


This seemed to be the year that books fell short for me, so just to name a few: Twisted by Laurie Halse Anderson, Such a Rush by Jennifer Echols, Glow by Amy Kathleen Ryan, and Defiance by CJ Redwine. OH and Starry Nights by Daisy Whitney.



3. Most surprising (in a good way) book of 2013?


Pivot Point! I was not expecting to like it as much as I did.


4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people the most?


Probably The Program. My student book club read it and it became very popular at school, which is awesome!


5. Best series you discovered in 2013?


Pivot Point and The Way We Fall by Megan Crewe (have only read the first of each series)


6. Favorite new author you discovered?


Rainbow Rowell, for sure! I loved Attachments, Eleanor & Park, and Fangirl this year.


7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone?


Endangered by Eliot Schrefer. I didn't think I would like it, but I did!


8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book of 2013?



Either The Program or The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey.


9. Book you read in 2013 that you are most likely to reread?


I don't reread much, but I found it was really helpful to reread Divergent & Insurgent and Legend & Prodigy before finishing the respective series, so probably...The Program or The Way We Fall.


10. Favorite cover?








11. Most memorable character?


Probably Cath from Fangirl. I found a lot of myself in her. And definitely Willow from Counting by 7's.


12. Most beautifully written book?


I loved the writing style of Counting by 7's and The One and Only Ivan.


13. Book that had the greatest impact on you?


Hmm...The Program brought up a lot of great questions that really made me think. Professionally, Kelly Gallagher's Readicide will make you rethink reading in schools. Read it.


14. Book you can't believe you waited until 2013 to FINALLY read?


The Scorpio Races, although I listened to that one on audio.


15. Favorite passage or quote?


Yeah, let's pretend I remember or even write those down. Oops.


16. Shortest and longest books you read in 2013?


Shortest was Fables Volume 1: Legends in Exile at 128 pages (graphic novel)


Longest was The Diviners by Libba Bray at 578 pages (and I felt EVERY ONE of those pages)


17. Book that had a scene in it that had you reeling and dying to talk to someone about it?


Allegiant, for sure.


18. Favorite relationship from a book?


How about Eleanor and Park? :)


19. Favorite book you read in 2013 from an author you read previously?


Either Scarlet by Marissa Meyer or Roomies by Sara Zarr & Tara Altebrando


20. Best book you read in 2013 that you read solely based on the recommendation of someone else?


I read Counting by 7's based on my coworker's recommendation and absolutely LOVED it.


21. Genre you read the most?


Science-fiction/fantasy, followed by contemporary, graphic novels, nonfiction, and historical fiction.


22. Newest fictional crush?


Yeah, not that kind of person :)


23. Best 2013 debut?


Not a Drop to Drink by Mindy McGinnis. Met Mindy at ALA and she is amazing!


24. Most vivid world/imagery?


Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson felt like it took me back in time


25. Book that was the most fun to read?


It was really fun to reread the Divergent series before starting Allegiant. I really enjoyed Divergent for the second time.


26. Book that made you cry or nearly cry?


I'm not a crier with books, but The One and Only Ivan brought out some feelings.


27. Book you read in 2013 that you think got overlooked?


Roomies but it did just come out in December! I also don't think Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight got enough attention.




I'm going to skip most of the blogging questions, since I was a sad excuse of a blogger this year, but I will say I did not reach my reading goal. I originally set it at 120 books, but changed it to 100 around October when I realized there's no way I'd hit 120. By December 31, I'd read 85 novels/graphic novels//audiobooks in 2013. I did not count picture books toward my total.




Looking Ahead!

1. One book you didn't get to in 2013 but will be a priority in 2014?


Cress by Marissa Meyer. I got an ARC at ALA and have been passing it around to students, but still haven't gotten to it myself. I plan on it being my next book or the one after.


2. Book you are most anticipating for 2014?


Sisters' Fate by Jessica Spotswood and The Treatment by Suzanne Young! Both sequels to favorite series.


3. 2014 debut you are most anticipating?


I have no idea! I haven't been keeping up with debuts, sadly.


4. Series ending you are most anticipating?


Sisters' Fate!


5. One thing you hope to accomplish or do in your reading/blogging life in 2014?


Reading-wise, I'd like to read 100 books. Definitely do-able, especially if I keep up with reading over the summer and don't get distracted by Netflix :)


Blogging-wise, I'd like to blog! I want to stay motivated and write book reviews and TTT's. I took a break last year because it felt like work, but now I'm missing it and ready to start again!

No comments:

Post a Comment