Thursday, March 14, 2013

Review: The Way We Fall by Megan Crewe

Publish date: 2012
Source: Classroom library
Format: Hardcover
Length: 309 pages
"When sixteen-year-old Kaelyn lets her best friend leave for school without saying goodbye, she never dreams that she might not see him again. But then a strange virus begins to sweep through her small island community, infecting young and old alike. As the dead pile up, the government quarantines the island: no one can leave, and no one can come back.

Those still healthy must fight for the island’s dwindling supplies, or lose all chance of survival. As everything familiar comes crashing down, Kaelyn joins forces with a former rival and discovers a new love in the midst of heartbreak. When the virus starts to rob her of friends and family, she clings to the belief that there must be a way to save the people she holds dearest.

Because how will she go on if there isn't?

Poignant and dizzying, The Way We Fall is the heart-wrenching story of one girl's bravery and unbeatable spirit as she challenges not just her fears, but her sense of what makes life worth living.
" (Goodreads)

Even though The Way We Fall just came out last year, I don't remember hearing anything about it. After finishing it, I'm surprised that I hadn't because it was great! I really enjoyed it and am hoping to pass it along to quite a few students as well.

First of all, if you've read my blog for a while, you know I'm a sucker for island settings. I love that whole small town feel and the added bonus of if anything bad happens, it's hard to get off the island (hint, hint). The setting worked well for this story of a virus/plague type thing taking over the island, although sometimes I found it hard to believe that a small island had such an advanced hospital like the one Kaelyn's dad worked at. Overall though, I liked the plot and found it to be pretty engaging.

The Way We Fall is told in journal format, first as Kaelyn writing to a friend and then just as a general record of everything happening. I liked this format and think it worked well for this particular story. It reminded me of the journal format in Life as We Knew it. It added a sense of desperation and loneliness to the story and never felt over the top or too detailed to be a journal, like some epistolary novels can be.

The second in the series, The Lives We Lost, is currently sitting in my classroom and I plan to read it soon! I also think this will be a hit with my freshmen English class...who doesn't love a good plague story?

No comments:

Post a Comment