Thursday, May 10, 2012

Review: Second Helpings

Author: Megan McCafferty
Publish date: 2003
Source: Library
"Jessica Darling is up in arms again in this much-anticipated, hilarious sequel to Sloppy Firsts. This time, the hyperobservant, angst-ridden teenager is going through the social and emotional ordeal of her senior year at Pineville High. Not only does the mysterious and oh-so-compelling Marcus Flutie continue to distract Jessica, but her best friend, Hope, still lives in another state, and she can’t seem to escape the clutches of the Clueless Crew, her annoying so-called friends. To top it off, Jessica’s parents won’t get off her butt about choosing a college, and her sister Bethany’s pregnancy is causing a big stir in the Darling household." (Goodreads)

Jessica Darling!! This girl has completely won me over with Second Helpings! I loved that in this book, she was still snarky and sarcastic, but at the same time was growing up. However, that's not to say that she made great choices during her senior year at Pineville; she did a few things that made me think, "wth, Jessica?!?" BUT at the same time I completely GOT it. Who doesn't make dumb choices in high school and then learn from them? We live and learn and I like that Megan McCafferty let Jessica live and learn.

I really like that Jessica gets older throughout the series. It's refreshing to read about someone going from a snarky sophomore to a still snarky but more mature senior and then into college in the later books. I also think this narrative/timeline style helps in that you don't feel like you are spending too much time on one plot point. Months fly by in these books!

Re: The Marcus Flutie thing from my review of Sloppy Firsts: I GET IT NOW. I get it and I hope it continues in the rest of the series. YOU. YES. YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment