Friday, March 9, 2012

Review: Pandemonium (Delirium #2)

Author: Lauren Oliver
Publish date: February 2012
Source: Won in contest
"I’m pushing aside the memory of my nightmare,
pushing aside thoughts of Alex,
pushing aside thoughts of Hana and my old school,
push,
push,
push,
like Raven taught me to do.
The old life is dead.
But the old Lena is dead too.
I buried her.
I left her beyond a fence,
behind a wall of smoke and flame.

Lauren Oliver delivers an electrifying follow-up to her acclaimed New York Times bestseller, Delirium. This riveting, brilliant novel crackles with the fire of fierce defiance, forbidden romance, and the sparks of a revolution about to ignite.
"

Pandemonium is by far my most anticipated 2012 release, more so than Insurgent. I absolutely LOVED Delirium and it was clearly my favorite read of 2011. Obviously I had really high expectations for Pandy and while most of them were met, the book definitely wasn't what I thought it would be. That said, though, I still thoroughly enjoyed it.

Pandemonium is written in a different style than Delirium in that the chapters alternate between "Then" and "Now." I'll be honest: at first, I did not like that, AT ALL. I was all, why this flip-flopping; just give me my precious NOW!. However, about a third of the way into the book, I realized that Lauren Oliver made a great call with the Then and Now. If she hadn't, I think the story would have dragged a bit and gotten tedious.

As usual, the writing is FANTASTIC. Ms. Oliver just has a way with words that I don't even understand. Everything is perfectly crafted, with so much figurative language that I could imagine everything (but not too much that it was pretentious). I should really have known my mind was going to be blown since of course I read Delirium and Before I Fall.

I liked all of the new characters that we were introduced to and felt that the major players were well-developed. The story was great, although I didn't enjoy quite as much as Delirium and the ENDING. That's all I will say. Oh and also: I need Requiem NOW. The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment