Saturday, November 19, 2011

Washington, D.C.

Part of the reason I failed to update my blog for, oh, 10 days, was that I went to Washington, D.C., last Friday! We had conferences at school Friday morning, so my friend and I flew out that night and arrived at our other friend's apartment in D.C. around 9. We stayed until Tuesday morning (I had that day off work, so I only needed a sub for Monday) and had a GREAT time. I wish we could have stayed longer, although I'm sure my feet would have disagreed. 


Some things we looked at we were not able to take pictures of, like most of the documents and other fragile items. It was amazing to see the Declaration of Independence, the Bill of Rights, and Thomas Jefferson's books, but sadly, no pictures. 
The original Supreme Court Chamber from 1810-1860.

Washington monument. My friend and I decided that it symbolizes "We're number one!"

World War II memorial. The war memorials were just heartbreaking.

The new MLK monument. Pretty neat. We looked at the Jefferson memorial from here, but decided not to walk to it.

The info center for the Smithsonians is a castle! We need more castles.

I think my three favorite places that we went to were the Library of Congress, the National Archives, and the Folger Shakespeare Library (couldn't take pictures most of the time). I love history and it was just incredible to me to see books and documents that were over 200 years old. I essentially spent my time nerding out and it was great. I can't wait to go back and visit more museums and historical places!

No comments:

Post a Comment