Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Audiobook Review: Hattie Big Sky

Author: Kirby Larson; Narrator: Kirsten Potter
Publish date: 2006
Source: Library
"For years, sixteen-year-old Hattie's been shuttled between relatives. Tired of being Hattie Here-and-There, she courageously leaves Iowa to prove up on her late uncle's homestead claim near Vida, Montana. With a stubborn stick-to-itiveness, Hattie faces frost, drought and blizzards. Despite many hardships, Hattie forges ahead, sharing her adventures with her friends--especially Charlie, fighting in France--through letters and articles for her hometown paper.

Her backbreaking quest for a home is lightened by her neighbors, the Muellers. But she feels threatened by pressure to be a "Loyal" American, forbidding friendships with folks of German descent. Despite everything, Hattie's determined to stay until a tragedy causes her to discover the true meaning of home.
" (Goodreads)

I'd been in kind of an audiobook rut lately and was having a hard time getting halfway through any books, let alone finishing anything...that is, until Hattie Big Sky. It was a win-win for me: a great story and a good audiobook.

If you've read my blog for a while, you might know that I freakin' love Laura Ingalls Wilder and the Little House books. Hattie Big Sky reminded me a bit of the LIW books and is definitely a reason why I liked it so much. I really love that time period and setting of Hattie Big Sky: early 1900's and set out in the middle of nowhere. Living in a shanty and/or sod house=the best. I can't get enough historical fiction like that from the 1800's to early 1900's.

Hattie was a really great character who made me root for her the whole time. She had such a positive attitude and spirit that carried her throughout the whole book. Sometimes I had trouble believing she was only sixteen, but I suppose people back in the "old days" knew how to do more things like cooking from the very basics, farming, and other things so they could, you know, survive. Anyway, Hattie and most of the other characters were likable and fun to read/hear about.

If you're looking for solid historical fiction, check out Hattie Big Sky

No comments:

Post a Comment