Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Former Favorites: Little House on the Prairie


Former Favorites is a relatively new blog feature in which I highlight my favorite book series as a child. This week's series is:

Little House on the Prairie 


I ADORED this series as a kid and I still do. It definitely stood up to the test of time for me and I look forward to sharing the series with my future kids.


My mom bought me the complete set when we took a road trip to Florida to go to Disney World. I was skeptical of it, but after reading a few chapters of Little House in the Big Woods, I was hooked. I read all of the books as quickly as I could and loved every single one (although Farmer Boy was my least favorite).

The Little House series was the starting point for my love of historical fiction. Reading about how life was back in the 1800's was/is fascinating for me. When I was younger, life back then seemed so much more interesting and I often wish that I lived in that era. I'd venture to say that I was slightly obsessed :)

As I've gotten older, I've learned more about Laura and her life and realized that a decent amount of the Little House series was fictionalized, but that didn't change my feelings about the books. Learning about Laura's actual life compared to the books is really interesting and I even own a biography about her. I really don't think I'll ever get tired of the books and look forward to rereading them again and again, especially These Happy Golden Years, which is one of my very favorite books.

Anyone else still love this amazing series?

No comments:

Post a Comment