Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Audiobook Review: Twisted by Laurie Halse Anderson

Narrator: Mike Chamberlain
Publish date: 2007
Source: Library
Format: Audiobook
Length: 6 hours 28 minutes
"High school senior Tyler Miller used to be the kind of guy who faded into the background. But since he got busted for doing graffiti on the school, and spent the summer doing outdoor work to pay for it, he stands out like you wouldn’t believe. His new physique attracts the attention of queen bee Bethany Milbury, who just so happens to be his father’s boss’s daughter, the sister of his biggest enemy— and Tyler’s secret crush. And that sets off a string of events and changes that have Tyler questioning his place in school, in his family, and in the world." (Goodreads)

Twisted has been on my radar for quite awhile and I knew I'd eventually read it due to my love of both Speak and Wintergirls. I had it in my classroom, but seeing that it was a shorter book, I decided to try the audio. I'm glad I did, although I don't think reading it would have changed my opinion on the story.

Twisted is told from Tyler's POV, which I thought Anderson did well. She is a great writer and this was no exception. The dialogue felt a bit stilted and awkward at times, but I can forgive that with contemporaries. Everything flowed well and I never felt like the story was stuck on a certain point for too long.

My main issue with Twisted is that I don't have any overarching feelings about it. I thought it was just ok, nothing fabulous like Speak or Wintergirls (which I loved). I understand that it's a completely different type of story than those two, and a very different narrator, but I just didn't feel satisfied at the end. I wanted to know more about Tyler and his relationships with his father and Bethany and just how everything was going to work out, given the events throughout the story. I suppose that I am simply not the intended audience for this one. I can imagine that some of my male students looking for a contemp not about sports or war (which are the popular topics in my classes) will enjoy Twisted and I'm looking forward to hearing their opinions.

If you have read Twisted, what are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment