Monday, March 26, 2012

Review: Cinder

Author: Marissa Meyer
Publish date: January 2012
Source: Library
"Cinder, a gifted mechanic in New Beijing, is also a cyborg. She's reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister's sudden illness. But when her life becomes entwined with the handsome Prince Kai's, she finds herself at the centre of a violent struggle between the desires of an evil queen - and a dangerous temptation. 

Cinder is caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal. Now she must uncover secrets about her mysterious past in order to protect Earth's future.
"

Cinder got a lot of attention toward the beginning of the year, as it was released on January 3rd. I only read good reviews and really wanted to read it, so I was pretty pleased when my library ordered it and my hold finally arrived last week. I thought Cinder was great and lived up to the hype!

I think Cinder is one the first fairy tale retellings that I've read and it's really making me want to read more. (Feel free to suggest your favorites!) Obviously I had an inkling about what was going to happen since I know the Cinderella story (and I predicted a huge part of the plot about 20 pages in), but the story itself was a lot of fun. The world of New Beijing and the idea of a moon colony was pretty interesting and I think we'll learn a lot more background in the books to come.

I'll admit, it took me a while to get into the story. I knew the plot was interesting, I knew I wanted to read and learn more, but I wasn't completely sucked in until halfway through. At that point, I was barely able to put it down and stayed up entirely too late on a work night to finish. I am really looking forward to the next three books and hope that more of Marissa Meyer's fascinating science fiction world is explored along with continuing Cinder's story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment