Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Top Ten Reasons I Love Being a Reader



Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. I haven't taken part in a while, but I love this week's topic!

Not in order, of course. I love being a reader because...


1. Reading relaxes me! After a long day I work, I love coming home to unwind with a book. I would much rather read than watch TV or surf the internet.

2. Reading makes you better at EVERYTHING. Seriously. Makes you a better writer, increases vocabulary, teaches you about new topics, increases concentration in general, better critical thinking skills, etc.

3. I love seeing how creative authors are. I don't consider myself to be a creative person, so my mind sometimes is blown at crazy plot twists or intricately created fantasy worlds.

4. Going to author events at bookstore and libraries is really fun. My go to bookstore for events has had some great ones, most recently Marissa Meyer. I've also met Meg Cabot and the Smart Chicks Kick It ladies a few years ago and plan on seeing Shannon Hale there in March!

5. Having favorite books in common with someone is a great way to bond. Automatic conversations there!

6. I know how awesome my local library is. My library system has a great YA section and impressive collection of audiobooks and graphic novels.

7. I can help my students become readers. Being a reader yourself is absolutely crucial if you want your students to become readers. Let them see you as an example. I think I need a post about this.

8. I am always entertained at a moment's notice, with either a book I have with me or with one on my kindle app on my phone. Never bored!

9. I can be in whatever kind of world I want: a Wisconsin dairy farm, the prairie, a spaceship, Hogwarts, the Congo, post-Civil War, anything.

10. With blogs and twitter, my reading community has exploded and I couldn't be more grateful. I love that some people I've bonded with over books have become real life friends :)

No comments:

Post a Comment