Friday, July 5, 2013

Review: Going Vintage by Lindsey Leavitt

Publish date: 2013
Source: Classroom Library
Format: Hardcover
Length: 320 pages
"When Mallory’s boyfriend, Jeremy, cheats on her with an online girlfriend, Mallory decides the best way to de-Jeremy her life is to de-modernize things too. Inspired by a list of goals her grandmother made in1962, Mallory swears off technology and returns to a simpler time (when boyfriends couldn’t cheat with computer avatars). The List:1. Run for pep club secretary
2. Host a fancy dinner party/soiree
3. Sew a dress for Homecoming
4. Find a steady
5. Do something dangerous
But simple proves to be crazy-complicated, and the details of the past begin to change Mallory’s present. Add in a too-busy grandmother, a sassy sister, and the cute pep-club president–who just happens to be her ex’s cousin–and soon Mallory begins to wonder if going vintage is going too far.
" (Goodreads)

I put Going Vintage on my TBR list when I first heard about it last year and read it recently as part of my YA lit class to fulfill a contemporary fiction assignment. I really enjoyed it and think it has a lot of teen appeal!

Mallory, the main character, is now one of my favorite YA protagonists. She was funny, smart, and dedicated to her goal of living like her grandma. I laughed out loud while reading, mostly due to Mallory's comments and observations about her life. She is definitely likable and easy to root for.

I had a few issues with how the book ended, mostly because of a number of things that happened regarding Mallory's family members like her grandma and mom. It seemed like there were too many things going on and I wanted to focus to be kept on Mallory. Ultimately, though, I really liked the book and think it will be popular at school this fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment