Monday, July 11, 2011

Review: Sisterhood Everlasting


Author: Ann Brashares
Publish date: 2011
Source: Library
"Despite having jobs and men that they love, each knows that something is missing: the closeness that once sustained them. Carmen is a successful actress in New York, engaged to be married, but misses her friends. Lena finds solace in her art, teaching in Rhode Island, but still thinks of Kostos and the road she didn’t take. Bridget lives with her longtime boyfriend, Eric, in San Francisco, and though a part of her wants to settle down, a bigger part can’t seem to shed her old restlessness.

Then Tibby reaches out to bridge the distance, sending the others plane tickets for a reunion that they all breathlessly await. And indeed, it will change their lives forever—but in ways that none of them could ever have expected.

As moving and life-changing as an encounter with long-lost best friends,Sisterhood Everlasting is a powerful story about growing up, losing your way, and finding the courage to create a new one.
"


I absolutely loved the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants books when I was in middle school/high school. My friends and I all read them, saw the first movie together, and tried to figure out what article of clothing we could share like Tibby, Lena, Bee, and Carmen shared The Pants. We considered sharing some type of snazzy jacket, but eventually decided to pass a notebook around that we could fill with journal entries, stories, pictures, song lyrics, etc. Looking back on that, I think we were pretty awesome and wish we could still do something like that. Anyway...

The book! It was pretty good and not exactly what I expected, although it was a good ending to a good series. I don't want to spoil anything, but it was a bit sad and unexpected. However, Ann Brashares has such a lovely way of writing that I felt almost comforted as I was reading. Reading the book from the different perspectives of the girls, as usual, was almost like spending time with old friends again. I would definitely recommend reading this to anyone who has read the original Pants series and if you haven't read any of them, you should!

Currently reading: Amy & Roger's Epic Detour
Next: good question. I have 5 books sitting in a stack from the library, plus I just got an email saying Bossypants and Thirteen Reasons Why are now in. I'll probably go for Bossypants first since I've been waiting so long!

No comments:

Post a Comment